RCA Sculpture held a series of critical discussions between 2 March and 6 April 2011 around the idea of ‘professional practice’. Each topic was peeled back to reveal a Trojan-horseful of critical issues that affect how artists understand, present, develop and promote their work.
The discussions went beyond the practical considerations of how to write a press release, how we network, how to do an artist’s talk or residency, and how to apply for funding. They penetrated deeper layers of artistic and critical analysis:
- what is the interstice between people and in conversations,
- how do we give voice,
- what is the visual and material quality of teaching,
- what socio-political spheres frame artists’ work,
- how does object translate to word or image, and
- what happens to site and space when residency becomes dwelling.
- Now that the series is over, this blog will continue to be maintained around the issues of Interstice, Voice, Teaching,
- Socio-Political Spheres, Translation and Dwelling.